Black Cherry Almond Galette Class
What you'll learn
Mise En Place
For the Crust
Ice water, ½ cup
Butter, 12 tbsp
00 flour, 2 cups
Kosher salt, ½ tsp
Sugar, ½ tsp
Demerara, 2 tbsp
For the Almond Filling
Butter, 4 tbsp
Sugar, ¼ cup
Lemon zest, 1x
Vanilla extract, 1 tsp
Almond extract, 1 tsp
Almond meal, ½ cup
00 flour, 2 tbsp
For the Cherry Filling
Frozen black cherries, 1 ½ lbs
Sugar, ½ cup
Cornstarch, 2 tbsp
Lemon juice, 1x
Vanilla ice cream, optional
- One Day Before Cooking
- Place the cherries in a bowl in your refrigerator to defrost.
- One Hour Before Cooking
- Set the thawed cherries in a strainer in your sink to drain.
- Preheat your oven to 375F. Ready yourself about ½ cup worth of ice water.
- Cut the 12 tablespoons butter into ½ inch cubes.
- Measure 255 grams (2 cups) 00 flour into a medium mixing bowl, along with the kosher salt and sugar.
- Add the cold butter cubes. Press and rub between your fingertips until no large clumps of butter remain and it begins to hold together when pressed.
- Use a rubber spatula to slowly incorporate just enough ice water (no ice!) to bring the dough together (I normally use all but around 1 tablespoon of ice water). You’ll know it’s done when there’s only a tiny bit of crumbled flour at the bottom of the mixing bowl and you can form it into a ball.
- Form the dough into a disk and wrap with plastic. Place in your fridge to rest while we prepare the cherries and almond filling.
How to cook
- To make the Almond Filling
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine 4 tablespoons of the butter and ¼ cup of the sugar.
- Zest in the lemon, then add the egg, vanilla and almond extract and stir until well combined.
- Stir in 2 tablespoons of the 00 flour and the almond meal.
- To make the Cherry Filling
- In a large bowl, mix drained frozen cherries.
- Add the ½ cup of sugar, the cornstarch, and the juice of one lemon and stir to combine.
- To Assemble
- Dust your work surface with the remaining ¼ cup of flour.
- Roll out the dough to a 14-inch circle.
- Spread half of the almond filling into the center of the dough, leaving a 2-inch border.
- Place your cherries in the center of the tart, being sure to drain off any juice.
- Fold the edges of your crust around the cherry filling.
- Brush with the beaten egg.
- Sprinkle with the demerara sugar.
- Bake on a parchment lined sheet tray until the crust is golden brown and the filling is starting to bubble, about 30-45 minutes.
- Enjoy warm, topped with your favorite vanilla bean ice cream, preferably in the backyard while basking in the afternoon summer sun after a night of grilling. Actually, holy heck!! If you want to get crazy, make it the day before grillin’ day and toss it on the warm grill for a few minutes to warm through, then serve with vanilla bean ice cream. Yum.
From the chef
Chef Jeremy here! Learn how to make an absolutely delicious apple galette with my world famous crispy, flaky More Butter Pie Crust!