Black Truffle Pumpkin Spiced Gnocchi Class
Before you start
Homework: The Night Before the Class
- Preheat the oven to 375 F.
- Poke sweet potatoes with a fork. Lightly drizzle with olive oil and season with kosher salt.
- Bake them in the oven for 1 hour or until the potatoes are tender to a knife.
- Let the potatoes cool to room temperature, then cut in half and peel off the skin.
- Mash the sweet potatoes with a fork and measure out 1 ¾ cup sweet potato puree. Save the remaining sweet potato puree for a future recipe.
- Cover with plastic wrap and place in the fridge until tomorrow's class!
What you'll learn
Mise En Place
Large Pot with Lid
Sweet potatoes, 1 ½ lbs
00 flour, 1 1/3 cup + reserve 1/4 cup
Unsalted butter, 3 oz
Egg yolks, 3x
Parmesan cheese, 1 oz
Pumpkin Spice Mix, 1 tsp
Balinese Truffle Salt, to taste
Sage, 8-10 leaves
Pumpkin seeds, 1/2 cup
Truffle Carpaccio, 1 jar
- Fill the large pot with water and place on the stove on low heat.
- In a bowl, mix the wet ingredients: mashed sweet potatoes, egg yolks, lemon zest, and Parmesan. Season with Balinese Truffle Salt and half of the Pumpkin Spice Mix.
- Reserve ¼ cup of flour (this will be our bench flour) and place half of the remaining flour on the work surface. Place the sweet potato mixture on this flour and top with the rest of the flour. Slowly chop the remaining flour into the wet mixture until the texture resembles play doh. Form the gnocchi dough into a disc.
- Cut the dough into 6 wedges. Roll one wedge into a rope ¾ in thick. Use a knife or bench scraper to cut knuckle sized pieces. Repeat with the remaining wedges.
- Roll the portions down a fork onto the sheet tray dusted with flour to form the gnocchi.
How to cook
- Melt butter until golden brown in a shallow pan. Coarsely chop the pumpkin seeds and add to the melted butter along with the sage leaves, a pinch of Balinese Truffle Salt. Once the butter has browned, sprinkle in the remaining Pumpkin Spice Mix.
- Add a pinch of salt to the large pot of boiling water and blanch the gnocchi for about 2-3 minutes, or until all gnocchi are floating.
- Remove gnocchi with a slotted spoon, and place into the large pan with the brown butter sage sauce.
- Toss gnocchi and brown butter sauce with the Truffle Carpaccio, and a squeeze of lemon.
- Plate attractively with the sage leaves. If desired, sprinkle lightly with Balinese Truffle Salt.
- Serve immediately and enjoy!
From the chef
What better to celebrate the holiday season than with a little pumpkin spice? In this class you'll learn how to make a delicious sweet potato gnocchi dough from scratch, roll each gnocchi into little pillows of deliciousness, and serve them in a brown butter sauce infused with sage and black truffle. This class is a Cookbook Holiday Hits classic with a twist!
Other chefs also loved
- Choosing a selection results in a full page refresh.
- Opens in a new window.