Chicken Marsala Sous Chef Mentorship
What you'll learn
Mise En Place
Large Pot with Lid
Thin cut chicken breast, 1 lb
Beech or shimeji mushrooms, 4 oz
Chives, ½ bunch
Truffle Carpaccio, 1 jar
Garlic, 4 cloves
All purpose flour, ½ cup
Canola oil, ¼ cup
Unsalted butter, 2 tbsp
Marsala wine, ½ cup
Chicken stock, ½ cup
Cream, ½ cup
Thyme, ¼ bunch
Garlic powder, 1 tsp
Onion powder, 1 tsp
Dried oregano, 1 tsp
Balinese Truffle Salt, to taste
Penne pasta, 8 oz
Black pepper, to taste
- Remove the chicken from its packaging and set it on a paper towel-lined plate to temper.
- Fill a large pot with water and bring to a boil.
- Dice the shallot. Slice the mushrooms.
- Slice the chives. Peel and mince the garlic. Pick and mince the thyme leaves
- Add a pinch of Balinese Truffle Salt and the ground spices to the bag of all-purpose flour.
- Season the chicken pieces and place them in the bag of seasoned flour. Shake until coated.
How to cook
- In a large saute pan over medium heat, stir together half of the canola oil and 2 tablespoons of butter.
- Test the temperature of the butter and oil mixture by placing a little piece of coated chicken breast in the pan. Once it starts sizzling, arrange the coated chicken so they can evenly fry. Pan-fry both sides until GBD (Golden Brown and Delicious), about 2-3 minutes.
- Remove the crispy chicken from the pan and turn off the heat.
- Add an additional 2 tablespoons of butter and turn the heat to medium-low.
- Add the shallots and saute until tender. Add the garlic and thyme and stir until fragrant, then add the mushrooms and saute until GBD.
- Season with Balinese Truffle Salt. Add the stock, marsala wine, cream, garlic powder, onion powder, and dried oregano.. Bring to a boil, then adjust the heat to maintain a simmer.
- Season the boiling water with kosher salt and cook pasta until al dente, about 8 minutes.
- Continue simmering the sauce until slightly thickened, then turn off the heat.
- Place the chicken and pasta on your serving platter and smother with sauce. Garnish with the chives and slices of Truffle Carpaccio; enjoy!
From the chef
In this month's mentorship class, Chef Tuck will be walking you through the skills behind chicken marsala!
Now that you've built the basics, it's time to build on top of them. Follow along and learn how to pan-roast chicken breast to a beautiful GBD and make a luxurious marsala sauce in this Shopping List class.
**Bonus points if you want to make your own pasta for this class, just sayin'!!
Other chefs also loved
- Choosing a selection results in a full page refresh.
- Opens in a new window.