Fresh Pasta Carbonara with Black Truffle Class
What you'll learn
Mise En Place
Large Pot with Lid
00 flour, 1 ½ cups
Egg yolks, 5x divided
Whole egg, 1x
Olive oil, ¼ cup + 1 tsp divided
Pancetta, 3 oz
Balinese Truffle Salt, to taste
Cream, ⅔ cup
Kosher salt, to taste
Parmesan cheese, 1 oz
Spinach, 1 handful
Truffle Carpaccio, to taste
- Fill a large pot with water, cover, and place on your stove on low heat.
- Place 1 cup of flour on your counter and make a well in the center.
- Add the 4 egg yolks, 1 whole egg, and 1 teaspoon olive oil to the center of the well.
- Use a fork to whisk the eggs and oil until combined, then use a knife or bench scraper to incorporate the flour.
- Form the dough into a ball and knead for 5-8 minutes. Use extra flour to dust your hands and work station as needed. Seal in plastic and set aside to rest.
- Peel and finely dice the shallot. Dice the pancetta.
- Roll out the pasta dough to be thin enough to read a piece of paper through it, using the extra flour as necessary.
- Cut into tagliatelle and dust with some of the extra flour.
How to cook
- Heat the olive oil in a large saute pan over medium-low heat.
- Add the pancetta and saute until the fat has rendered, about 2 minutes.
- Add the shallot and a pinch of Balinese Truffle Salt and continue stirring until the shallot has softened.
- Add the cream and bring to a boil. Once boiling, turn off the heat.
- Lightly season the large pot of boiling water with kosher salt. Add the fresh pasta and cook until al dente, about 2 minutes.
- Transfer ½ cup of the pasta water into the saucepan, then drain.
- Stir the pasta into the sauce. Bring back to a boil over medium-low heat.
- Add the egg yolk and turn off the heat. Use tongs to incorporate the egg yolk, moving the pasta constantly.
- Grate in half of the Parmesan, add the baby kale and toss to coat. Season with Balinese Truffle Salt and lemon zest to taste.
- Split the Carbonara between two plates and top with Truffle Carpaccio.
- Sprinkle with more freshly grated Parmesan and a pinch of Balinese Truffle Salt. Enjoy!!!
From the chef
Chef Tucker here! In this on-demand class, you’ll learn how to make a classic pasta carbonara! We will show you how to make pasta dough from scratch, how to roll it out by hand, and the step by step method for the perfect carbonara sauce.
Other chefs also loved
- Choosing a selection results in a full page refresh.
- Opens in a new window.