Hand Rolled Cacio e Pepe Pasta with Black Truffle Class Details (Live)
What you'll learn
Mise En Place
Large Pot with Lid
00 flour, 1 ½ cups
Egg yolks, 4x
Whole egg, 1x
Olive oil, 1 tsp
Truffle Carpaccio, 1 jar
Unsalted butter, 4 oz
Pecorino cheese, 1 oz
Balinese Truffle Salt, to taste
Ground black pepper, to taste
- Fill a large pot with water, cover, and place on the stove on low heat.
- Set aside ½ cup flour for your “bench flour.”
- Lay the remaining flour on your counter and make a well in the center. Add the egg yolks, whole egg, and olive oil. Whisk the eggs and oil together with a fork until combined.
- Using your index finger like a dough hook, mix the eggs and oil into the flour until shaggy.
- Knead the dough until smooth, about 5-8 minutes. Cover with plastic wrap and set aside to rest.
- Dice the butter. Chop half of the Truffle Carpaccio.
- Use a rolling pin to roll the dough until it’s thin enough to read a piece of paper through it.
- Cut the dough into your desired pasta shape.
How to cook
- Lightly season the boiling water with kosher salt.
- Add the pasta to the pot and cook for 2 minutes.
- Strain, reserving 1 ½ cup of the pasta’s cooking water. Reserve 1 cup of pasta water for the sauce and ½ cup for adjusting if needed.
- In a large saute pan over medium-high heat, stir together 1 cup of pasta water, butter, and chopped Truffle Carpaccio. Once boiling, add the pasta and cook until the sauce becomes creamy and the pasta is al dente.
- Remove the pan from the heat and grate half of the pecorino cheese into the sauce. Season with Balinese Truffle salt and black pepper and stir to combine.
- Plate the pasta with the sauce, grate the remaining pecorino cheese on top, and garnish with slices of the Truffle Carpaccio. Finish with one last sprinkle of Balinese Truffle Salt and dig in!!
From the chef
Cacio e pepe is one of Italy's most well known dishes. We are taking it to the next level by showing you how to make pasta dough by hand, the skills needed to hand roll a sheet of pasta out thin enough to read a piece of paper through, and how to make a creamy, delicious pasta sauce sauce with pecorino, butter, black pepper, and truffles!
Other chefs also loved
- Choosing a selection results in a full page refresh.
- Opens in a new window.