Northern Italian Squid Ink Tagliatelle Fresh Pasta Class
What you'll learn
Mise En Place
Large Pot with Lid
Whole egg, 1x
Egg yolks, 3x
Olive oil, 1 tsp
Squid ink, 2 oz
00 flour, 1 ¼ cup + 3 tbsp
Parsley, ¼ bunch
Garlic, 1 head
Parmesan cheese, 2 oz
Balinese Truffle Salt, to taste
Truffle Carpaccio, to taste
Olive oil, 2 oz
Chili flakes, 1 tsp
Ground black pepper, ½ tsp
White wine, ½ cup
Chicken stock, ½ cup
Butter, 1 stick
Kosher salt, to taste
- Fill a large pot with water, cover, and place on the stove on low heat.
- In a small mixing bowl, whisk together the squid ink with the egg mixture and a pinch of kosher salt.
- Set aside ½ cup flour for your “bench flour.”
- Lay the remaining flour on your counter and make a well in the center. Add the black egg mixture in the center of your well.
- Using your index finger or a fork, mix the wet mixture into the flour until shaggy. Use your bench scraper or knife to mash the shaggy pieces of dough into a big ball of dough. If it is super wet or sticky, you can add a little more bench flour.
- Knead the dough until smooth, about 5-8 minutes. Cover with plastic wrap and set aside to rest.
- Chop the parsley.
- Mince the shallot.
- Mince some garlic - measure with your heart for this.
- Grate the cheese!
- Chop half the truffles.
- Now that the dough has rested, roll it out into a long, rectangular sheet. You want it thin like a piece of paper. Tri fold the dough, and cut it into ¼” thick strips to form tagliatelle. Unfold the pasta strands and toss with some bench flour to prevent sticking.
How to cook
- Turn the pasta water to high heat so that it comes to a boil.
- In the large saute pan over medium low heat, add the olive oil. Once warmed, sweat the shallot. Add a pinch of Balinese truffle salt. Then add the garlic and cook until fragrant. Do not let brown. Add the chili flakes and a scrunch of black pepper. Toast the spices.
- Turn the heat up to medium high as you deglaze the pan with ½ cup of white wine. Cook until it is au sec, or nearly dry. Turn the heat down while you cook the pasta.
- Season the large pot of water with kosher salt. Salty like the ocean.
- Add the pasta and cook for 2 minutes. While cooking, reserve ½ cup of pasta cooking water and set aside.
- Strain the pasta.
- Add the pasta to the saute pan with ½ cup of chicken stock and ½ cup of pasta water.
- Cook down the liquid and add most of the grated cheese to thicken (reserve a bit for plating). Add three tablespoons of butter and stir to emulsify.
- Toss in the chopped truffles and a bit of the chopped parsley. Season to taste with Balinese Truffle Salt and balance out the dish with lemon zest and juice as needed.
- Plate the dish and top with more parm, parsley, and truffles. Buon appetito!
From the chef
Hey Gastronomy Gangsters! Get ready to embark on a culinary journey like no other as we dive headfirst into the flavors of Italy this August. We're taking it to the next level with an epic showcase of skills that will leave you feeling like a badass chef! In this exciting edition, we'll be conquering the art of squid ink pasta, a dish as bold as your culinary spirit. Get ready to unleash your inner rebel as we master the secrets of Northern Italian sauce-making. Let's make Nonna proud and rock the kitchen with our unstoppable pasta skills! 🖤