Pasta Garganelli alla Vodka Class
What you'll learn
Mise En Place
Large Pot with Lid
00 flour, 1 cups plus more for dusting
Egg yolks, 4x
Olive oil, 1/4 cup + 1 tsp divided
Parmesan, 1 oz
Basil, ½ bunch
Garlic cloves, 2x
Truffle Carpaccio, to taste
Pork belly or bacon, 3 ½ oz
Ground black pepper, ½ tsp
Chili flakes, 1 tsp
Tomato paste, ½ cup
Vodka, ⅓ cup
Cream, ½ cup
Balinese Truffle Salt, to taste
Kosher salt, to taste
- Fill a large pot with water, cover, and place on the stove on low heat.
- Lay the flour on your counter and make a well in the center. Add the egg yolks, whole egg, and 1 teaspoon olive oil into the center of the well. Use a fork to whisk the eggs and oil together until combined.
- Using your index finger like a dough hook, mix the eggs and oil into the flour until shaggy.
- Knead the dough until smooth, about 5-8 minutes. Cover with plastic wrap and set aside to rest.
- Grate the Parmesan.
- Chiffonade the basil.
- Mince the shallot and garlic. Chop half the Truffle Carpaccio.
- Dice the bacon.
- Turn the pot up to high to bring to a boil.
- Use a rolling pin to roll the dough until it’s thin enough to read a piece of paper through it, then cut into 1” x 1” squares.
- Using your straw or chopstick, roll the square of pasta down the grooves of the gnocchi board until it forms a cylinder, then slide it off the stick. This is the garganelli shape! Now finish all the remaining squares :) setting aside on a parchment-lined, flour-dusted sheet tray as you go.
How to cook
- Season the boiling water with a good amount of kosher salt. Add the pasta to the pot and cook for 2 minutes. Reserve ½ cup of pasta water, then drain.
- Heat the olive oil in a large pan on medium to medium-low heat. Add the bacon and saute until it starts to show some GBD (Golden Brown Deliciousness) and some fat has rendered. Add the shallot and garlic and cook until soft and fragrant (with no color). Season with salt, then add the ½ teaspoon black pepper and the chili flake.
- Add the tomato paste and rust it, stirring until it turns deeply reddish/brown.
- Deglaze the pan with ⅓ cup VODKA! Woo! Continue cooking to reduce the raw alcohol taste, then add the cream and reserved pasta water. Add in the grated cheese and combine until smooth and delicious. Season with salt as needed.
- Mix in the chopped Truffle Carpaccio at the end.
- Plate up your delicious pasta, topped with basil, Truffle Carpaccio, and more Parm. Dig in, Chef!
From the chef
Chef Tucker here! Learn and cook with me as I teach you an Italian recipe that is near and dear to my heart. I will be sharing one of my Nonna's recipes and bringing in new pasta techniques to make the traditional Garganelli - it is similar to penne but with a visible flap that makes them homey and cute. Finish it up with a creamy and delicious vodka sauce and shake up some delicious cocktails as usual!!