Southern Style Shrimp & Grits Class Details
What you'll learn
Mise En Place
Stone ground grits, 1/2 cup
Chicken stock, 2 cups
Whole milk, 1 cup
Balinese Truffle Salt
Semi-hard artisanal cheese, 1 ounce
Chives, 1 bunch
Shrimp, 1/2 pound
Unsalted butter, 6 tablespoons
Mascarpone cheese, 1/4 cup
Truffle Carpaccio, 1 jar
Cream, 2 tablespoons
Light beer, 1 cup
- Place the grits into a fine mesh strainer and rinse with cold water until the water runs clear.
- Place the rinsed grits in a 2 quart pot. Add 1 cup of the chicken broth, 1 cup of milk and a pinch of Balinese Truffle Salt.
- Place pot over medium heat and bring to a simmer, whisking from time to time.
- Reduce the heat to low, cover halfway with a lid, and cook, for 45 minutes, whisking occasionally to prevent sticking.
- Peel and slice the shallot.
- Grate the semi-hard cheese.
- Thinly slice the chives and cover with a damp paper towel.
- Peel the shrimp, leaving tails on. Place on a paper towel-lined plate and refrigerate until ready to cook.
How to cook
- Heat a large saute pan over medium-high heat. Add 4 tablespoons of the butter and heat until foamy.
- Season the shrimp with Balinese Truffle Salt.
- Add the shrimp to the butter and cook for 1-2 minutes on each side.
- Transfer the cooked shrimp to a plate to rest.
- In the same pan, add the sliced shallots and saute over medium heat until soft.
- Add one cup of beer and 1 cup of chicken stock. Turn the heat up to high.
- Reduce until emulsified. Season with Balinese Truffle Salt to taste.
- Add the Truffle Carpaccio to the pan and keep warm until you’re ready to plate.
- To finish the grits, stir in the remaining 2 tablespoons of butter, mascarpone, cream, and the grated cheese. Adjust the seasoning with Balinese Truffle Salt to taste.
- Place your shrimp back in the pan and toss with the sauce until hot. Plate over the grits, then garnish with the chives. Give up on trying to contain your excitement and dig in, Chef!
From the chef
Embark on a culinary journey to the American South with Chef Jason's Southern Style Shrimp & Grits class. In this experience, you'll uncover the secrets to crafting creamy, cheesy grits inspired by Chef Jason's authentic Georgian recipe.
Elevate your cooking skills as you master the art of cooking shrimp to perfection, ensuring a succulent and flavorful bite every time. The class also delves into the creation of a mouthwatering pan sauce that ties this Southern classic together in a symphony of flavors.
Other chefs also loved
- Choosing a selection results in a full page refresh.
- Opens in a new window.